The Stache's Top 12 Songs of 2006
Here's a guide to some of the best individual songs that came out last year, neatly organized in list form. I had some witty quips that accompanied each song, but internet explorer shit all over itself and erased everything. Maybe I'll add them again later, oh well. P.S. Go Birds!
12. Mates of State- Think Long: They are married and they have no guitarist, but once you get past the gimmicks this is an incredible catchy song.
11. Matisyahu- Indestructible: It seems like he has been around forever, but this studio album was released in '06. My favorite song from my favorite Jew.
10. Josh Ritter- Wolves: So long, So high. This song collectively spent the most amount of time in my head last year. Ritter's voice is powerful.
9. Say Anything- Alive with the Glory of Love: The lyrics are extremely dark, but the riffs are uplifting. I love the dichotomy and damn that chorus is catchy.
8. Angles and Airwaves- Valkyrie Missle: I know they are pretty emo, but I can't get enough. In its own overblown way, this song is perfect.
7. The Thermals- Here's Your Future: Not quite punk, not really rock, just two and a half minutes of pure powerful music.
6. Silversun Pickups- Lazy Eye: This song slowly builds up to a raging conclusion. Looking forward to more from this new band.
5. The Hold Steady- Stuck Between Stations: Most nights were crystal clear but tonight it's like we're stuck between stations. Nobody's lyrics came close to Craig Finn this year.
4. TV on the Radio- Wolf Like Me:This rocking song sounds nothing like the rest of their strangely solid album. No complaints here.
3. Midlake- Roscoe: Best imagery of the year comes from these gents. I can't help but feel like I'm sitting in a peaceful forest relaxing and enjoying life while blasting this tune.
2. Josh Ritter- Thin Blue Flame: A Dylan epic in disguise. I have no idea what the lyrics means, but this amazing song gives me visions of johanna upon every listen.
1. Tool- 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2): Maynard chronicles the loss of his mother through this stunning tune. The centerpiece of the best album of 2006.